Keeping our dogs protected is at the top of the list as pet parents. Wireless dog fences help to create a safe zone where your dog can roam easily. If you live on a busy road and are searching for a way to securely protect your dog, or have a large farm, and don’t want your dogs to roam about in nearby areas, a wireless fence could be the ideal option.
We’ve reviewed the best wireless dog fences. The features we considered included how the systems were configured in-ground or portable wireless since this influences the ease of installation and the form of the boundary region. We also looked into whether systems catered to multiple dogs or were specifically designed to meet the needs of a certain type of dog.
See also our recommendations on guide for buying a dog fence, Tips for training the dog to use electric dog fence, Top 5 best electric fence.
Best Wireless Dog Fence Reviews for 2020
In order to understand their features in detail, let us take a look at the short reviews of these invisible fences to see which one will meet your requirements.
The PetSafe Stay and Play Wireless Fence is a radial fencing network with a limited coverage area of 0.8 acres. It has a transmitter dial that helps you to change the diameter of your boundary circle between 40 feet and 210 feet. It is an update of the PetSafe Pet Containment System, PIF-300.
This has a lightweight and durable collar that suits most dogs with neck measurements varying from 6 to 23 inches. It is appropriate for any dog who is older than 6 months and weights greater than 5 pounds, which indicates that it is even ideal for smaller dogs.
One of the best features is that the range can be expanded easily by installing extra transmitters which can be used by an unlimited number of dogs. This has 5 continuous warning rates and even a sound level only once your dog has been trained. Overall, this is a good value for a money wireless dog fence.
- Faster training for dogs in understanding and marking their boundaries.
- Waterproof collars are a big advantage of allowing no-boundary to water lovers.
- You don’t have to keep on changing batteries due to inbuilt rechargeable batteries.
- Keeps your dog safe and secure in the containment area.
- The lightweight collar gives ample comfort to your dog.
- The system comes with 210 feet span that can be expanded further for up to 10 acres if required.
- The product comes with a three-year warranty.
- At times the collar gives the dog static signals even if it is within the boundary.
- The product is reviewed to be not-so-durable in many cases, but the three-year warranty can be used as a good option to cover this.
The PetSafe Wireless Pet Containment Device, PIF-300, is a tried and proven device that has been used for more than a decade. It has the highest coverage area of 0.5 acres with an adjustable diameter ranging from 40 feet to 180 feet.
This device is intended for dogs over 6 months of age and weighing more than 8 pounds. It’s got a collar scale of 6 to 23 inches. You should also change the prongs for pets with shorter or longer hairs. The collar is lightweight (about 3 ounces in weight) and waterproof.
The collar uses RFA-67 cells, which typically last 2-3 months and can be switched quickly. It has a 5-step static correction and a tone-only step.
This system can be extended with additional transmitters and can be used for an unlimited number of dogs. The only problem here is that it has a wide boundary wobble of 4.8 feet.
This is the best invisible dog fence for the budget-conscious dog owner. It’s still the best-selling wireless fence.
- Many users talk about the ease of installation with this dog fence model.
- There are some great options for static correction on the receiver collar, which means some great results.
- The collar is also adjustable for small dogs and larger breeds thanks to the 6-28 inch neck.
- There are some PetSafe wireless fence troubleshooting issues.
- This dog fence is not foolproof and there is the potential for glitches and dead spots.
- There are a few too many reports of interferences with cars etc.
The KAROTEZH 2 in 1 Electric Dog fence installation system has one of the highest wireless fencing coverage areas. This has an adjustable area, the width of which can be changed from 80 feet to 800 feet in increments of 5 feet, which ensures that it has an overall coverage region of 11 acres. It has the lowest boundary wobble of around 1.5 feet of all the wireless fences.
It is recommended for dogs over 8 pounds in weight and over 6 months of age. This is offered in two types, one for small dogs with a collar scale of 12 to 17 inches and medium-sized dogs with a collar scale of 14 to 26 inches. The collars are also waterproof. We are somewhat heavier, around 4.5 ounces in weight.
It uses a rechargeable lithium-ion battery. The new battery shall be included in the kit. This has 5 different static adjustment levels and a tone-only stage.
It’s one of the best wireless dog fences in the world. This also has the highest range of features to offer.
- It gives the largest containment area of up to 11 acres which can be circular or custom-made.
- There are no wires involved and can be easily set up.
- There is a boundary breach alert system to let you know when your dog breaches the boundary.
- The kit comes with a six-phase training guide and waterproof collar with rechargeable batteries.
- There is an inbuilt safety feature that the system does not alert the dog on returning to the confinement area.
- There is a two-way communication system with the collar and the controller all the time, keeping track of the dog’s location.
- There are possibilities of fenced boundaries to extend to your neighbor’s property.
- The boundary might extend to the road and a smaller fence boundary could cause area restriction.
The Perimeter Technologies Wire-Free Wi-Fi Dog Fence provides a maximum coverage range of 2.5 acres and an adjustable distance of between 40 feet and 375 feet.
These should be used by up to 2 dogs that weigh more than 20 pounds and are older than 6 months. This has a bell scale and has been made for even bigger breeds. The collar is waterproof, as well.
This requires a rechargeable lithium-ion battery. In fact, Perimeter Technologies was one of the first companies to use a removable rechargeable battery that can be easily switched off. When the batteries are powered, they last for 1-3 days depending on how often the dog challenges the fence.
It has several interesting features including a boundary warning device that alerts you when your dog is about to cross the line. It does, though, have one of the largest boundary wobbles of 8.8 feet.
It’s a little expensive compared to other top wireless dog fences, but it has some unique features that are not available with other fences.
- It is easy to set up and install.
- Advanced, lightweight, high-quality nylon collar.
- The package comes with lithium-ion batteries which can be recharged or replaced to give timely renewal to the collar.
- The system offers a wide span of coverage for up to 2.5 acres.
- The system has poor signal reception and is not consistent.
- The collar battery life is not quite appreciable. There had been reports on dogs getting static even if inside the containment area.
The Funace pet enclosure device is a revolutionary product that can help you keep your dog away from cars and climb over fences. It’s easy to set up and use as it includes just a lightweight wi-fi radio transmitter and a rechargeable collar that’s a total money saver. Another great thing is that your dog can jump into the water, play with a sprinkle or run in the rain because the collar is 100% waterproof.
This wireless pet containment system can also follow you and your four-legged fellow wherever you go, as it fits into every small bag, and in about three weeks, your dog can learn where the boundary is by tasting a low and harmless shock every time it tries to run away.
The Collar would even provide the dog with a weak shock signal if it does not obtain a signal. The Wireless Pet Fence may also have a weak signal in the vicinity of electronic devices, metal outbuildings, and if your house has aluminum siding because it blocks the signal from the transmitter.
This is the best invisible dog fence because it doesn’t cost a fortune like any other wired underground fence, and it’s completely harmless and safe. In using this Funace pet enclosure device, you can support your dog in the long term and allow him the opportunity to move easily and securely. This means you ‘re going to save him from some kind of danger.
- Wireless fences are much easier to use because you can take it with you wherever you go.
- The other great thing is that you don’t have to dig your yard because it doesn’t have any wires.
- It’s completely harmless- Once you made the decision to buy this wireless dog fence, you can be sure that you’ve made the safest choice for your four-legged friend.
- This system has a two-way system communication- the controller and the collar that will track your dog’s location.
- It comes with a warranty that confirms its quality.
- The Wireless system will alert you every time your dog breaches the boundary.
- It’s rechargeable so you can forget about painful buying batteries.
- One of the cons is that you need to know that this dog fence may not provide you a strong signal if you have metal doors in the house, too many trees in the yard or if you use it on steep terrain (mountain or hill).
- The signal is formed as a circle so the boundary can spread to your neighbor’s yard.
The PetSafe Rechargeable In-Ground Pet Fence helps keep your dog/cat safe in the yard and gives them the freedom to play outside. It has a maximum range of 25 acres and is approved for dogs and cats above 5 lbs and older than 6 months. The collar is durable and utilizes a lithium-ion battery that usually lasts 3-5 years based on the customer ‘s care and maintenance.
Another cool feature is that the device will be used with an unlimited number of pets with different compatible collars. Whether you’re trying to prevent your dogs/cats from escaping or just want to train them, this PetSafe Rechargeable In-Ground Fence does both.
There is also a possibility to choose between the tone and the static correction mode. The system works by giving a warning beep sound or a low shock every time your pet is approaching the edge. You can be sure that your pet will be properly trained in just two weeks.
Some of the aspects that would certainly convince you to purchase the PetSafe Rechargeable In-Ground Fence is that it’s absolutely transparent and safe to use. Your pet will swim with a leash without losing its performance. Overall, this wired rechargeable waterproof containment system is easy to use and is a good value for money.
- It has a wire break alarm to warn if you have any break in the wire.
- The transmitter and collar can be bought separately.
- The battery will last 3 to 5 years depending on the customer’s care and maintenance.
- It’s a good value for money and completely safe for use.
- You can choose between a tone and static correction mode.
- You can forget on buying batteries
- The battery of the collar is rechargeable but can’t be replaced if no longer maintains a charge.
- According to customers’ reviews, the collar may not fit larger dog breeds such as Akita Inu and Husky.
- During cold seasons the strength of the system may change.
- You’ll have to dig your yard to install it.
The pest control HQ Compatibility Electric Dog Fence System with Remote Dog Training Collar is a beautifully crafted device intended to show the dogs what secure play boundaries are. This will cover 492 ft and can be used by up to 3 dogs at the same time. You ‘re just going to need to buy an adjustable dog collar.
By buying this product, you can be sure that this is a completely safe and supportive way to discipline a dog. It does not harm a dog and keeps it away from dangerous areas such as pools, traffic, and off-limit zones such as the neighbor’s yard or garden.
This comes with a rechargeable and reusable harness so there is a low possibility to break a cable as it is strong and durable (it’s not like most wired dog fences). The device has 3 automatic static adjustment levels and 10 vibration and adjustment levels. Another cool feature is that you can turn to tone-only mode anytime you choose, whereas the anti-bark device is only controlled by you.
The Combo Electric Dog Fence System arrives with a 12-month guarantee and there is even an option to have a 3 or 4-year protection plan. When utilizing this simple-to-control wired dog barrier, you ‘re going to be able to spend your spare time playing with your dog instead of disciplining it. Since the collar is rechargeable, you might forget to purchase the batteries. It matches much of the size of the dog’s necks (8-27 in) and is certainly worth it.
- The anti-bark feature is controlled by you.
- It comes with two dog collars
- It’s completely harmless
- It comes with a one-year warranty
- The System alerts you every time your dog breaches the boundary
- Since it’s rechargeable, you can forget on buying batteries
- The system has 3 levels of automatic static correction and 10 levels of vibration and correction.
- You have to dig your yard to install it
- The nylon collar after some time starts pulling apart
Now that you’ve read our wireless dog fence reviews carefully, we ‘d recommend all of the above invisible fences to you, but we have to confess that our preference is the PetSafe PIF00-12917 Stay and Play Wireless Fence. This has enough scope and features to please the most urban as well as rural dog lovers. It’s also priced correct for the most discerning consumer, and we believe it merits the award of the best invisible dog fence in 2017.
Whatever you pick, make sure you read the manual thoroughly before installing it. Try not to install the transmitter too near to any electronic or radio equipment, such as the washing machine, television, etc., because it can conflict with the transmitter and make the boundary unstable. You should even mount it away from the Wi-Fi network and garage doors. Hold at least 3 steps away from these objects.
When installed, take the time to train your dog with the patience required. Based on the kind of dog you have, it should take 1-3 weeks. Go online or speak to the training owner and see what it means and train the puppy. Ensure that the dog should not wear a collar for more than 12 or 13 hours a day. Never add a belt to this collar, too.