There’ll be many things you enjoy about your pet, but one thing that’s not so great: seeing his fur all over your home. One of the most commonly asked questions is – What’s the right vacuum to get rid of dog hair?
We’re here to help you. You can read on to learn about the kinds of things you’ll want to look for in a vacuum and to read our in-depth analysis of the 10 best vacuums to tackle dog hair.
Features to Look for in a Dog Hair Vacuum
Many economy vacuums are not equipped to deal with massive volumes of hair – instead, pet lovers, four-legged friends require high-quality vacuums that can help deal with the puppy’s hair problems. Some vacuum models are specially designed to pick up canine hair!
There is nothing fundamentally different about a vacuum that fits well for dog hair picking-it just comes down to the unit’s efficiency and the features it provides.
In fact, the majority of vacuums that excel in dealing with your kitchen floor’s archeological layer of dog fur would also be pretty good at handling your everyday cleaning needs.
Some of the features that you want in a dog-hair destroying vacuum include:
Horsepower: Simply put, vacuums that have superior suction would work best to extract your dog’s hair from the fibers of your carpet and the nooks and crannies in your couch. In reality, after using a high-powered vacuum for the first time, many dog owners are surprised at how much fur their old vacuum leaves behind.
Allergen Filtration: Shed hair isn’t the only thing your dog is leaving around your home – he’s also leaving tiny flakes of dead skin everywhere (you are too, but your own skin cells probably won’t tickle your nose). It is actually these particles, and not your dog’s hair, that are typically responsible for allergies. Because these particles are very small, you need a quality allergen filter to ensure the vacuum doesn’t shoot them back out into the room.
A Variety of Attachments: Even though you can extract much of the dog’s hair from your home with the base vacuum unit, you’ll need a lot of accessories to tend to some hard-to-clean areas, like stairs. Brush-tip attachments are usually the most helpful for removing hair from carpet or upholstery, but narrow attachments can help you get into the tightest cracks and crevices.
- 10 Best Dog Gadgets for Dog Owners to Buy in 2021 – Reviews
- Are Training Collars Good for Dogs? Find the Best Dog Training Collars
Best Vacuums For Dog Hair: Reviews
1. Bissell CleanView Dog Vacuum
A light-weight, high-powered vacuum cleaner that is relatively inexpensive price range that can be afforded by any owner is the Bissell CleanView Dog Vacuum.
Yet the Bissell CleanView is filled with advanced features, such as a triple-action brush roll to capture even deeply embedded fur, a washable filter, a detachable stick wand, and edge-to-edge cleaning so that you don’t miss a hair, despite this consumer-friendly price tag.
- Swivel steering makes it easy to navigate around furniture from any surface you will encounter and capture fur.
- System of bagless collection for convenient disposal
- Includes unique attachments designed especially for the treatment of pet hair
- Edge-to-edge cleaning features so that even hair stuck in the corners will be sucked up.
- Great pick for short-haired dogs, with owners making great use of the pet-specific attachments.
- This vacuum’s low price point means it has to sacrifice some nice extra features, like a cord rewind.
2. Dyson Ball Animal 2 Total Clean
The Dyson Ball Animal 2 is a Dyson line high-end vacuum, distinctively designed and built for pet homes.
Animal 2 has the highest suction capacity of any other vacuum and has been proven scientifically to capture particles as small as allergens and bacteria (a big plus for owners with allergies).
It features a host of extra attachments and add-ons between crevices and corners to suck up hair. On any surface, the self-adjusted head seals suction, allowing the vacuum to suck up fur and deep into carpet fibers first.
- Cleaner head self-adjustment ensures good suction
- 35-foot-long cord, which allows you to quickly cover large areas
- Certified asthma and allergy friendly
- Backed by the 5-year guarantee of the manufacturer
- Designed with pets in mind, this vacuum is especially effective at removing pet hair. It offers unparalleled suction, and the included attachments also elicited plenty of praise.
- A few owners complained that the Dyson Ball Animal 2 is surprisingly heavy, which makes it challenging to move around. But powerful vacuums generally tend to be heavier than average.
3. Bissell Pet Hair Eraser Turbo
A slightly more expensive alternative to the Bissell CleanView is the Bissell Pet Hair Eraser Turbo, with some additional features that owners may take into account well valuable the price bump.
This vacuum showcases a brush roll that is tangle-free as well as a hands-free emptying system so that dirt and fur no longer have to cover your hands.
This vacuum featured edge-to-edge cleaning, like the Bissell CleanView, but this vacuum also has an LED Crevice Tool, a Pet Turbo Eraser Tool, as well as a 2-in-1 Pet Dusting Brush, so you can see in the dark places you are sucking.
Best of all, a Smart Seal Allergen System is included in the Bissell Pet Hair Eraser Turbo, designed to manipulate dust and allergens to prevent your dog’s dander from affecting your allergies. To help combat pet odor, it even has the option to add Febreeze filters.
- With LED headlights, swivel steering lets you navigate around furniture while illuminating the floor.
- To keep your hands clean, the bagless collection system also includes a hands-free emptying system.
- It contains exclusive attachments, such as the Pet Turbo Eraser and the 2-in-1 Pet Dusting Brush, designed to work with pet hair.
- Edge-to-edge cleaning and a tangle-free brush roll are featured.
- In addition to the Febreeze filter option, it offers a Smart Seal Allergen System to combat dust and allergens.
- Owners love that the brush roll can be turned on or off, and many confirm that it can suck up longer hair without getting tangled.
- With all these extra features, the Bissell Pet Hair Eraser Turbo is a bit heavier, but not so much that many owners found it a huge issue.
- Do you want your dog to obey you? Check out the best shock collar for 2021
- 10 Best Dog Nail Grinders to buy in 2021 – Reviews
4. Shark Rotator Professional
The Shark Rotator Professional is an upright/canister vacuum unit configuration that makes it easy to vacuum both large areas and small, hard-to-reach locations.
This vacuum comes with a special multi-tool for pets and a number of other accessories to suit various surface types.
- Anti-allergen technology and HEPA filter trap 99.9% of allergens and dust.
- With the single click of a button, the Canister lifts away
- Separate hard floor and carpet mode features
- Fingertip controls make modifications on the fly easy to make.
- Appears to be very effective at cleaning pet hair, as well as typical household dirt. The removable canister section was very popular among those who tried the vacuum, and it made vacuuming stairs and hard-to-reach areas easy.
- A few pet owners reported that this wasn’t the easiest vacuum to push across carpet, but most didn’t seem to find this an issue.
5. Shark Rocket DuoClean
A light-weight wand-style vacuum, the Shark Rocket DuoClean is simple to use and also packs enough strength to make it easy to clear pet fur.
This is a perfect choice for owners who require a high-quality vacuum, but do not want to break the bank, which is ideally fit for homes of a modest size.
In addition to complete home clean-ups, the built-in hand held option enables this vacuum to do double-duty as a fast pick-up product.
- Using fully assembled to vacuum or detach large areas and use the hand-vac for hard-to-reach locations.
- It comes with a multi-tool pet to allow a snap for hair removal.
- To make it easy to see dim nooks and crannies on the floor nozzle and hand vac, LED lights
- Comes to make storage easy with a wall-mount hook
- The Shark Rocket seems to work well for most pet owners living in relatively small homes. Several reported that it was very effective at removing pet hair, and most owners who tried it praised its light weight (the unit weighs only 4.6 pounds).
- A few owners found that the machine became clogged relatively easily, but this may be a result of using it for larger areas than it is intended for.
6. Eureka Mighty Mite Canister Vacuum With Pet Attachments
For pet owners who choose canister type vacuums rather than uprights, the Eureka Mighty Mite Canister Vacuum with Pet Accessories is a perfect pick. This 9-pound-vacuum is ideally suited for apartment dwellers, like most compact vacuums, and its excellent allergen filtration makes it a particularly good choice for dog owners.
- The telescoping wand of the vacuum makes it possible to reach below or behind furniture
- A 1-year, exclusive warranty comes with the Eureka Mighty Mite
- Uses odor-fighting dust bags to help keep your home smelling fresh
- With a HEPA filter that absorbs more than 99% of pet dander
- The HEPA filter and odor-fighting dust bags make the Mighty Mite a great choice for dog owners. Most users report that the combination of the unit’s dog-hair-removal attachments and high-powered suction work well for removing dog hair.
- Like most other canister vacuums, the Mighty Mite is best suited for smaller homes, without large quantities of carpet.
7. Bissell Pet Hair Eraser Handheld Vacuum
For those with only minimal hair-removal needs, the Bissell Pet Hair Eraser Handheld Vacuum is a perfect option.
The Bissell dog vacuum is a great instrument for vacuuming the hair off chairs, drapes, blankets, rugs and other small areas, but it is clearly not suitable for vacuuming entire rooms.
- Cordless design makes this unit ideal not only for indoor but also for reflector extension and crevice tool car cleaning.
- A minimal, 1-year warranty comes with the Bissell Pet Hair Vacuum
- The fast-to-empty dirt bin bagless design makes emptying the unit simple and easy.
- The small, lightweight design makes this unit ideal for small tasks; instead of dragging out your upright or canister vacuum, you can just grab this hand-held unit and start collecting the hair.
- A few users had charging issues with defective handhelds, but Bissell has proven to make good on their warranty policy.
8. Shark Navigator Professional
The Shark Navigator Specialist is a lift-away vacuum that offers a very fair price point for excellent performance. To enter out-of-the-way locations, you can use it as a traditional upright vacuum, or cut the cannister and hose parts.
- Comes with the full seal technology of Shark anti-allergens that traps 98 percent of dust and allergens
- This vacuum weights just 13.7 pounds and is lightweight and easy to use.
- Inclusion of pre-motor foam and HEPA filter
- When vacuuming hardwood floors, brush rollers can be turned off.
- Most people who tried the Shark Navigator Professional were happy with the way it performed, including several pet owners, who explained that it was very effective for cleaning dog hair.
- The removable cannister section also drew lots of praise, as it makes vacuuming under or behind furniture a snap.
- A few owners noted that this vacuum tends to blow out hot air, which is not ideal. It also appears to be best-suited for light-use or small apartments, as heavy use may lead to broken components.
9. Bissell PowerEdge Corded Pet Vacuum
An perfect alternative for those living in carpet-free homes is the Bissell PowerEdge Corded Pet Vacuum.
The PowerEdge Pet is the best method for picking up hair on your hardwood, tile or linoleum board, but it is not designed to vacuum your carpet.
- The V-shaped model helps funnel debris into the middle of the device, where the suction is greatest.
- The Bissell PowerEdge dog vacuum, weighing just 7.1 lbs, is a lightweight vacuum.
- The swiveling nature makes cleaning around furniture and other obstacles simple.
- The nature of Bagless makes cleaning fast and simple.
- While very lightweight and easy to maneuver, the PowerEdge Pet generates great suction for its size. Most users report that it vacuums dog hair, cat litter and most other debris without trouble.
- The PowerEdge Pet is only effective on hard floors. Additionally, some users have reported that the wheels may collect hair and become tangled easily. If the wheels stop spinning freely, they may damage the floors in your home.
10. eufy Boost IQ RoboVac
The RoboVac eufy Boost IQ is an automatic cleaner that can help collect pet hair without having to raise a finger (as well as dirt, dust and debris)!
And the eufy RoboVac comes with BoostIQ, unlike certain other robotic vacuums, which lack the sucking power to deal with pet hair, which automatically enhances sucking power when necessary.
- Slim design (2.85” tall) helps this robotic vacuum reach places others can’t
- Infra-red sensor to help the unit avoid obstacles
- Voted “Best Robot Vacuum of 2018″ by Digital Trends
- Backed by a 12-month warranty
- Several dog and cat owners who tried the eufy RoboVac were pleased with the unit’s ability to pick up dog and cat hair with ease.
- Additionally, because the unit cleans on a regular, recurring basis, it helps prevent hair from building up in your carpet fibers. Plus – you don’t have to vacuum anymore!
- While most owners reported that it handled pet hair well, a few people reported that the unit had difficulty navigating their home.
- However, this is a common issue among most robotic vacuum cleaners. These vacuums work best with open layouts.
Our suggestions above are what we found are the best vacuums for dog hair are available on the market. These are the best vacuums for dog hair to buy in every price range for you.
Dog Vaccum FAQs
Are pet vacuums worth the price?
Generally, yes. Pet owners need high powered vacuums and additional filters to suck up large volumes of pet hair and dander, and this kind of sucking power will always come with a higher price tag.
What special features to pet vacuums offer?
Pet vacuums often include allergen filters to suck up your dog’s dander as well as his hair, and also usually offer a variety of attachments that allow you to grab pet hair from hard-to-reach spots like between couch cushions and on top of stairs.
- Best 6 Stainless Steel Dog Bowls – Reviews
- Top 5 Best Rated Dog Crate that Your Pet Needs
- Top 7 Best Dog Beds to Buy – Reviews and Buying Guide